Friday 30 March 2012

Lucky Seven - Extract From At Peace With All Things


I was tagged in a post on Facebook. This doesn't happen all that often, so I had a look, and I was intrigued by what I found.

The Lucky Seven meme.

Here are the rules:
1. Go to page 77 in your current manuscript
2. Go to line 7
3. Copy down the next seven lines as they are – no cheating
4. Tag 7 other authors

Okay then, I will.

My current WIP (work in progress) is tentatively titled At Peace With All Things. It's completely different to anything that I've written before since I'm trying my hand at literary fiction. I'm enjoying writing this one very much, and, as of now, I'm at 73,000 words. I think it's going to come in at over 100,000. Possibly quite a lot over...

Here is the Lucky Seven excerpt:


Beryl told the whole sorry tale, beginning to end, leaving nothing out, sugar-coating none of it. When she was finished, stopping just short of telling the boy that she had planned to become pregnant by Bear, that it had made sense at the time, she finally breathed. She had said every word without looking at Jude, scared that seeing his reaction to the truth would be too much and she would stop or change the facts in some way. And she couldn’t do that. Not once she had started.
Only at the end, with a sigh and wipe of her face and the words, “We couldn’t save her, Jude, and I’m sorry. I’ll always be sorry,” did she turn to the boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment